Monday, May 31, 2010

The Pack Rat in Me Wins - Again!

For those of you who have seen my blog post showing my tiny workshop, it's cluttered with all sorts of pieces of wood that I have not tossed. Even though they're not very big, and some people might think they're useless, I keep thinking, "That's a good piece of [insert kind of wood here]. I could probably use that sometime..." It's the pack rat in me that drives me to keep it!

For those of you reading this blog who don't live in North America, the pack rat is a real live rodent that is notorious for collecting "stuff." They especially like shiny objects. People who never throw "stuff" away are also called pack rats.

Well, today, I couldn't find my calipers (still can't) and so I cleaned up my workshop. I had a small box filled with little pieces of wood - 1" x 1" x 3/4" - very small pieces. I finally decided today, "OK, I'm not going to need those blocks of wood anymore. Time to pitch those!" A half hour later, I was out in my garage digging them back out of the trash can. (Fortunately, I hadn't tossed anything else into the can this week!)

Those tiny blocks of wood are perfect for holding my pieces of wood up off the table so that the painted edges don't stick to the workbench. I put a couple of pieces of double-stick tape on the blocks and set my wood on top of it. Voila!  The perfect tool for painting. So, now I have to figure out where to store these little pieces of wood... I'll give a couple of them to each of the mini club members so they can do the same thing when they paint their Coke vending machines!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put them in a clear zip lock bag and tack it to a wall covered with plaster board or cork. Soon the wall will be covered with little bags full of very valuable items. Then everyone will know that you are indeed a wealthy pack rat.

Caseymini said...

George, never ever compare yourself to a pack rat!LOL We have them around here and they are a menace....They go for anything that isn't attached and sometimes replace what they steal with choilla cactus pads. We had one recently try to get into the house by chewing through the cement foundation....He actually made quite a hole before we caught him and relocated him to the desert, where he belonged. They are really cute, but not very nice.

Tabitha Corsica said...

George, I like the first comment...that is sort of what I do. I have lots of nicely labeled ziplock bags with important little stuff.

Tabitha

Jo Raines said...

I am a chronic packrat and keep virtually everything and constantly have to clean up a bit to locate anything I need at any given time! I'm headed back to read how to paint your miniatures!

Jody

Related Posts with Thumbnails