Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Work on the Walnut Project Has Begun


I know I was accused of being a tease when I posted pictures of blank wood. It's been about a month since I posted that picture. I didn't mean to keep you waiting this long. I just didn't have much to show you. I still don't, really.

This is one of those projects that will take me several months to do. Considering all the other projects I have going right now - both large and small.  The intensity of my work has been heightened lately, too. It could be a very L-O-N-G time before I have something in a finished form to show you. But at least, it's started.

By the way, the turning on the lower right was the first thing I've actually turned on my new lathe. Yeah. I know. I need to practice. That turning may not end up being my finished product... The two pieces to the left of the turning are parts of the wood that came off of the unit on the far left. I just love making cabriole legs! It's kind of like a chocolate covered caramel - there's something extra special on the inside!

6 comments:

Caseymini said...

George, you are still teasing. I can't wait to see the finished piece. What kind of lathe did you get? Did I miss the entry where you said?

George the Miniguy said...

I know. Can't be helped, Casey! I'll bring you guys along with the project as it evolves. Finding time right now is crazy! Last weekend we were insulating my daughter's house. This weekend is a legislative breakfast (work related), miniature club, and a post Christmas party - and that's just what we're doing on Saturday!
I'll do a post one of these days soon about the new lathe. It's a beauty!

Victoria said...

hmmmm, looks very interesting! Looking forward to seeing the new pics, I think this is the most exciting part - to see the work in progress. Hope to read the post about new lathe too.

Norma Bennett said...

Wow, they were worth waiting for, as I'm sure the ongoing project will be. My late father was a wizz with a metal lathe, I was always fascinated to watch it working (wearing appropriate safety glasses!) but it never produced anything as beautiful as a wood lathe can.

George the Miniguy said...

Thanks, Victoria and Norma. Cabriole legs and items turned on a lathe both have the same interesting quality - they emerge whole from the center of a block of wood. It's sort of like cracking open an egg, and finding this new, sometimes quite intricate looking thing that came out of an otherwise uninteresting piece of wood.

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read that post. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. BTW, try to add some images :).

Related Posts with Thumbnails