Monday, March 2, 2009

How to Strain Family Relations

As part of the design of the current dollhouse I'm finishing, I decided to put a stained glass window above the front door on the second floor landing. I fiddled with various media, and then talked with my brother-in-law, Paul, who has done some beautiful stained glass windows.

Paul will be the first to tell you, "I'm a patient guy!" But his tongue is squarely in his cheek when he tells you this. Nevertheless, I had seen his meticulous work, and thought, "Let's go for it!" Being up for an occasional challenge, he thought so, too.

So, I designed the window at right. To give you an idea of the diminutive scale, though, the three red circles in the middle of the window are each about the size of a pencil eraser - less than a quarter inch in size.

Paul dutifully created the window for me, and as he handed it to me, his only comment was, "Don't EVER ask me to do another one for you!" He had multiple pieces of glass that he had ALMOST ground down to fit into these positions, only to have them shatter against the grinder or fly out of his grasp and shatter against the floor or wall.

It makes for a great story. Plus, it is a lovely, totally unique, very real, miniature stained glass window that our family will treasure for as long as we have the dollhouse.

1 comment:

debby said...

Do I understand it's your familycrest? And that it's done by your brother in law? In real lead? Oohwhauw!!! Tell Paul he's very gifted if this is his first 'attempt' at miniature staind glass. I can't call this an attempt. It's a succes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails